Woman's Investigating Club, Buffalo, N.Y.
- Woman's Investigating Club (Buffalo, N.Y.) (Organization)
Language of Materials
Terms of Access
.2 Linear Feet (1 half manuscript box)
The Woman's Investigating Club grew out of a group of women from West Side Presbyterian Church in Buffalo, New York, who met at the suggestion of Mrs. Julia B. Newman Danforth to talk about forming a club. "The idea then was a sort of mother's club, to teach household economy, the care of children and the like. Such a club was formed, and Mrs. Herbert Lord was chosen President." The first meeting was held in March 1888. The first year they "cooked, talked about household cares, read recipes, and sometimes made a higher literary effort in an essay on a question of the day, or on the life of a great man or woman."
The year 1889 saw a more literary effort and "thirst for knowledge." The club met October through May, setting the annual calendar of thematic reading and lectures in advance. A "Fifteen Minute Club" was organized for the Summer months for members to record their daily readings for the next year's topic. The annual banquet and election was held in March.
The meeting format was augmented in the 1892-93 season with the addition of a fifteen minute talk before the paper of the day on any suggested topic. That same year the club became a member of the General Federation of Women's Clubs. In 1893-94 the club moved from the home of President Mrs. Florence Hopkins Lyon to the Women's Educational and Industrial Union Building and meetings increased from semi-monthly to weekly.
The club joined the Western New York Federation in 1896, the New York State Federation of Women's Clubs in 1912, and in 1905 helped found the Buffalo Federation of Women's Clubs. In 1915 the Club sponsored a scholarship at the University of Buffalo.
Sources used: "Club History" by Lucy Elizabeth Denton contained in the 1893 Club calendar (see Box/Folder 1.2) and the 1936 history in the Club History Collection at the Women's History and Resource Center, Washington, D.C. (CH NY 034) (See Box/Folder 1.7).
Biographical NoteMary E. Pursel Greene was the wife of prominent Buffalo, New York, physician, Walter D. Greene (1853-1917). Dr. Greene was an 1876 graduate of the University at Buffalo Medical School. The Greenes lived at 385 Jersey Street, Buffalo, New York. Mrs. Greene died on June 10, 1938.
Accruals and Additions
- Finding Aid for the Woman's Investigating Club, Buffalo, N.Y.
- Finding aid prepared by Karen Spencer.
- Description rules
- Language of description