William Barrow Mann papers
Scope and Contents
Letters written by Dr. William B. Mann, 1853-1891, discussing family matters; his studies at the Albany Medical College and the University of Buffalo Medical School; his service as an assistant surgeon in the U.S. Navy during the Civil War; and other matters. Also includes, letters of his father Joseph Mann and his aunt, Electra Mann, 1803-1858. Most of the Civil War letters concern Dr. Mann's postings, though one letter dated September 26, 1862, concerns events aboard the US Steamer "Miami" in the North Atlantic Squadron, and a letter from William N. Wells, dated April 24, 1891, concerns Wells' efforts to gain a larger pension because of injuries received on board the "Miami" in 1864.
- Mann, William Barrow (Person)
Language of Materials
Collection material in English.
Terms of Access
William Barrow Mann Papers, 1803-1891 are open for research.
Copyright of papers in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs or assigns. Researchers must obtain the written permission of the holder(s) of copyright and the University Archives before publishing quotations from materials in the collection. Most papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures unless otherwise specified.
William Barrow Mann was born in Kendall, New York circa 1835. After graduating the University of Buffalo Medical School in 1861, Dr. Mann served as Assistant Surgeon in the United States Navy during the Civil War (1861-1865). After the War, he practiced medicine in Brockport, New York until his death on October 23, 1920.
.21 Linear Feet (1 half manuscript box)
Letters written by Dr. William B. Mann, 1853-1891, discussing family matters; his studies at the Albany Medical College and the University of Buffalo Medical School; his service as an assistant surgeon in the U.S. Navy during the Civil War; and other matters. Also includes letters of other family members, 1803-1858.
This collection is arranged in chronological order.
Collection was donated to the University Archives by Dr. Charles D. Mann, grandson of William B. Mann on February 27 and December 6, 1967.
Accruals and Additions
No further accruals are expected to this collection.
Collection processed by Archives staff in 1967.
- Albany Medical College
- Mann Family
- Mann, William Barrow -- Archives
- Mann, William Barrow -- Correspondence
- Medicine -- Practice -- New York (State) -- Brockport
- Physicians -- New York (State) -- Brockport -- Biography
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Medical care
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Naval operations
- United States. Navy -- Surgeons -- Biography
- University of Buffalo. School of Medicine
- Finding Aid for the William Barrow Mann papers
- Finding aid prepared by Archives staff; updated in 1996.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note