Darwin D. Martin Correspondence with O.S. Lang
Collection — Box: 1
Identifier: MS 22.7
Correspondence between Darwin D. Martin and O.S. Lang, the general contractor for the Martin House, and correspondence of Martin and Lang with suppliers of building materials and furnishings for the Darwin D. Martin House in Buffalo, New York. Includes correspondence with suppliers of fixtures, glass, tiles, rugs, plaster and other materials, and correspondence between Martin and E.M. May, a New York City buyer for the Larkin Company who also acted as agent for Martin for the purchase of hardware and other materials. With the Lang Martin correspondence are several rough sketches and a blueprint of the Gardener's Cottage, dated 7/25/05 enclosed in a letter from Lang to Martin dated July 28, 1905.
- Majority of material found within ( 1904-1909)
- Martin, D.D. (Darwin D.) (Person)
Language of Materials
Collection material in English.
Terms of Access
Darwin D. Martin, Contractor (O.S. Lang) Correspondence, 1904-1909, is open for research.
Copyright of papers in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs or assigns. Researchers must obtain the written permission of the holder(s) of copyright and the University Archives before publishing quotations from materials in the collection. Most papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures unless otherwise specified.
0.5 Linear Feet (1 manuscript box)
Correspondence between Darwin D. Martin and O.S. Lang, the general contractor for the Martin House, and correspondence of Martin and Lang with suppliers of building materials and furnishings for the Darwin D. Martin House in Buffalo, New York.
- Darwin D. Martin born - Boucville, Madison Co., New York
- Frank Lloyd Wright born - Richland Center, Wisconsin
- Isabelle Reidpath, the future Mrs. Martin, born - Buffalo, New York
- Brothers Darwin D. Martin and Louis Frank Martin selling soap for Larkin Company in New York City
- Darwin D. Martin, aged thirteen, begins work at Larkin Company in Buffalo
- Darwin D. Martin invents cardex
- Frank Lloyd Wright begins studies at the University of Wisconsin
- Darwin D. Martin begins building house on Summit Avenue in Buffalo
- Darwin D. Martin marries Isabelle Reidpath
- Frank Lloyd Wright builds Home and Studio in Oak Park
- Frank Lloyd Wright joins Alder and Sullivan
- Darwin D. Martin replaces Elbert Hubbard as Secretary of Larkin Soap Company
- Frank Lloyd Wright starts his own practice
- October 29 -- Darwin D. Martin meets Frank Lloyd Wright
- Darwin D. Martin purchases site for Martin House Complex, Jewett Parkway
- October 11 - Construction begins on Barton House
- July 20 - Construction begins on Martin House
- October - Barton House occupied
- Martin House Complex completed
- Frank Lloyd Wright designs Bar Beach Cottage (Bay Beach, Ontario, Canada) for Darwin D. Martin (unexecuted)
- Darwin D. Martin commissions Frank Lloyd Wright to design a home for James and Dorothy Martin Foster, daughter of Darwin D. Martin (unexecuted)
- Martin retires from the Larkin Company
- Construction begins on Graycliff
- June 20 - Graycliff occupied
- Frank Lloyd Wright designs the Blue Sky Mausoleum for Darwin D. Martin's plot in Buffalo's Forest Lawn Cemetery (unexecuted)
- Darwin D. Martin dies in Buffalo
- Fallingwater (Bear Run, PA), designed by Frank Lloyd Wright for the Kaufmanns
- Isabelle R. Martin dies in Buffalo
- Frank Lloyd Wright dies
Correspondence is arranged in alphabetically by contractor, then chronologically.
Please see University Archives staff for acquisition information.
Accruals and Additions
No further accruals are expected to this collection.
Plans and Drawings: These plans are shelved with other architectural drawings of the Martin House in MS 22.0, as items 40, 41, 44 and 45:
- Gardner's Cottage. O.S. Lang. Blueprints, July 28, 1905 3 pieces (12.5 x 26 cm) [MS 22.0, item 40]
- Casement. O.S. Lang [?]. Blueprint, October 16, 1905 1 piece (28 x 18 cm) [MS 22.0, item 41]
- Martin House, Tracing of Glass for Window. Tracing, undated 1 piece (40 x 70 cm) [MS 22.0, item 44]
- Martin House, Plan of Pergola from House to Conservatory. Blueprint, 10/9/05. 1 piece (19.5 x 41 cm) [MS 22.0, item 45]
Processed by University Archives staff.
- Martin, D.D. (Darwin D.) (Person)
- University Archives (Repository, Organization)
- Buffalo and Western New York Architecture Collection (State University of New York at Buffalo) (Organization)
- Finding Aid for the Darwin D. Martin Correspondence with O.S. Lang
- Finding aid prepared by John Edens.
- Description rules
- Language of description