Skip to Content

Paul Jessel drawings for the 1964 Buffalonian

 Collection — Envelope: 1
Identifier: 9-6-1426

Scope and Contents

Collection includes four black-and-white drawings of University at Buffalo dormitories, created by Paul Jessel, and used in the 1964 Buffalonian yearbook. The drawings are on cardstock, and the artist's name "Jessel" is indicated on three of four drawings. The drawings depict the exteriors of four dormitories and campus housing buildings—then known as Cooke, Schoellkopf, Michael, and Allenhurst. The drawings are featured in the 1964 Buffalonian on pages 306, 310, 312, and 320, respectively.


  • 1964

Terms of Access and Use

The Paul Jessel drawings for the 1964 Buffalonian is open to researchers


Copyright of papers in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs or assigns. Researchers must obtain the written permission of the holder(s) of copyright and University Archives before requesting photocopies and/or publishing quotations from materials in the collection. Once permission is obtained, most papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures unless otherwise specified.

Biographical Note

Paul Jessel is listed as a Special Contributor on the Acknowledgments page of the 1964 Buffalonian yearbook, for his dormitory sketches. This acknowledgment can be seen on page 374.

Historical Note

The Buffalonian served as an undergraduate yearbook from 1934-2001. The inaugural issue of the Buffalonian appeared in 1934. It was on February 26, 1934, that Norton Union opened, and the title page for the first issue of the Buffalonian proudly states “Published by the Associated Students of the University of Buffalo at Norton Hall on the University Campus.” The Buffalonian was the yearbook for all UB students for only one year. In the 1935 medical and dental students launched a combined yearbook called the Medentian. When the Buffalonian ceased publication in 2001, it marked the end of a yearbook for undergraduates.

Schoellkopf Hall was built as one of four matching dormitories surrounding Kimball Tower including Cooke (now Pritchard), Michael, and MacDonald Halls. It was originally built as a men's residence Hall, and is named for the Schoellkopf family. Jacob Frederick Schoellkopf (1819-1899) emigrated to Buffalo from Germany in 1844. After a few years he established Schoellkopf and Company which became the largest sheep tannery in the world. He is most known for his purchase of the Niagara Falls water and power rights in 1877.

Michael Hall was the fourth Residence Hall to be built on Main Street campus. After the completion of Schoellkopf, Cooke (now Pritchard), and Macdonald Halls, it was built to provide additional housing for men, and is named for Edward Michael (1850-1951). Michael was a member of the University Council for 50 years and the Chairman of its Building and Grounds Committee for thirty years. Michael is credited for the idea to purchase the site that is now UB's South Campus.


.1 Linear Feet (1 letter sized folder)

Language of Materials



Collection includes four black-and-white drawings of University at Buffalo dormitories, created by Paul Jessel, and used in the 1964 Buffalonian yearbook.


Collection is arranged by material type.

Acquisition Information

The Paul Jessel drawings for the 1964 Buffalonian was gifted to University Archives by David VanSice, in March of 2021 as accession #2021-011. David VanSice served as Editor-in-Chief for the 1964 Buffalonian.

Accruals and Additions

No further accruals are expected to this collection.

Processing Information

Processed by Jessica Hollister, September 2022. Finding aid encoded by Jessica Hollister, September 2022.


Finding Aid for the Paul Jessel drawings for the 1964 Buffalonian
Finding aid prepared by Jessica Hollister
26 September 2022
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
Script of description

Repository Details

Part of the University Archives Repository

420 Capen Hall
Buffalo New York 14260-1674 US
716-645-3714 (Fax)