A.B. Lemon, Dean of the School of Pharmacy papers
Scope and Contents
Papers of Dr. A. Bertram Lemon, Dean of the School of Pharmacy, 1936-1954 document the growth of the School of Pharmacy and Alumni Association during Dr. Lemon's time at the University at Buffalo. The collection includes his state and local professional pharmaceutical activities and correspondence as well course material, correspondence and song books from the School of Pharmacy.
- Lemon, A.B. (Asa Bertram) (Person)
Language of Materials
Collection material in English.
Terms of Access
A.B. Lemon, Dean of the School of Pharmacy Papers, 1924-1969 are open for research.
Copyright is held by the State University of New York at Buffalo, University Archives. Copyright in other papers in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs or assigns. Researchers must obtain the written permission of the holder(s) of copyright and the University Archives before publishing quotations from materials in the collection. Most papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures unless otherwise specified.
- September 3rd: born in Hartford, Ontario
- Ph.G., University of Buffalo
- Pharmacy Degree, Brooklyn College
- Assistant in Materia Medica (Pharmacy), UB
- Instructor, UB
- Student Activities Committee, UB
- Organized UB Band, Glee Club, Orchestra
- Professor, UB
- Secretary, UB Alumni Club
- Board of Governors, UB Alumni Club
- Published The Basic Material for a Pharmaceutical Curriculum under a grant from the Commonwealth Fund.
- Editor of Alumni News
- Secretary, Federated Alumni Association at UB
- Board of Managers, Norton Union, UB
- Dean, School of Pharmacy, UB
- Member of the New York State Board of Pharmacy
- Vice President, American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy
- United States Pharmocopoeia Revision Committee
- Received the Willis G. Gregory Memorial Medal for "personifying the 'ideal of service and integrity in the pharmacy profession.'"
- First recipient of the Samuel P. Capen Alumni Award
- Received citation from the Student Activities Committee
- Retired as Dean, named Dean Emeritus
- Received a citation from New York State Department of Education
- Received a citation from UB for "outstanding contributions to the fields of Alumni Affairs and Pharmaceutical Education."
- Retired from teaching
- Named "Illustrious Professor" by UB
- Executive Secretary, School of Pharmacy Alumni Association
- Named "Honorary President" of the Galen Pharmaceutical Society of Buffalo
- February 3rd: died in Buffalo, NY
"Bert, your contributions to pharmacy over the years will go down in the books as something for which many of us will always be proud and happy. Men of your caliber with a vital interest in pharmacy are becoming harder and harder to find. One of our problems is to develop more young men and instill in them the enthusiasm and spirit which you have displayed and which has been an incentive to many of your associates" (Letter from Kenneth S. Griswold to A.B. Lemon, June 30, 1961, Box 3, Folder 8)
3 Linear Feet (7 manuscript boxes)
Papers of Dr. Asa Bertram Lemon, Dean of the School of Pharmacy, 1926-1969 document the growth of the School of Pharmacy and Alumni Association during Dr. Lemon's time at the University at Buffalo. The collection includes his state and local professional pharmaceutical activities and correspondence as well course material, correspondence and song books from the School of Pharmacy.
Organized in three series: I. Personal, II. Professional, III. Academic, then by subseries, then alphabetical, then chronological.
Accession #02-004, papers acquired from Dr. A. B. Lemon's son, Edgar Lemon, was merged with the existing collection 36/3/535 which consisted of accession #77-012, papers transferred via Harold Reiss as part of the records of the Pharmacy Alumni Association, accession #81-008, papers donated by his wife, Gretta E. Lemon, accession #78-031 periodicals from the Department of Pharmacy.
Accruals and Additions
No further accruals are expected to this collection.
A History of the University of Buffalo by Julian Park was pulled - Archives copies and online copy at Cornell University.
The University of Buffalo: A Brief History,1846-1904 by Dr. Eli H. Long and the reprint in 1914 were re-filed in University History vertical files.
The publication The Pill Box was removed to Non-University Print Materials: shelved by title.
Processed by Jessica Tanny, December 2003
- American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy
- American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy
- Gregory, Willis G. (Willis George)
- Griswold, Kenneth S.
- Jayne, Leslie C.
- Johnston, Austin M.
- Lemon, A.B. (Asa Bertram) -- Manuscripts
- Murray, Daniel H.
- New York (State) -- Student activities -- Buffalo
- O'Brien, Francis J.
- Pharmaceutical Society of the State of New York
- Pharmaceutical policy -- United States
- Pharmacists -- Licenses -- New York (State)
- Pharmacy -- Vocational guidance
- Pharmacy colleges -- New York (State) -- Buffalo
- Pharmacy on radio -- Associations, institutions, etc -- New York (State) -- Buffalo
- Radio scripts
- State University of New York at Buffalo. Alumni Association
- State University of New York at Buffalo. School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences
- State University of New York at Buffalo. School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences -- History
- State University of New York at Buffalo. School of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. Alumni Association
- University of Buffalo -- Students -- Societies
- University of Buffalo -- Songs and music
- University of the State of New York. State Board of Pharmacy
- Wyss, Arthur P. (Arthur Paul)
- Finding Aid for the A.B. Lemon, Dean of the School of Pharmacy Papers
- Finding aid prepared by Jessica Tanny.
- Description rules
- Finding Aid Prepared Using Local Best Practices
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note