Skip to Content

University Properties records

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: 6-4-43
This collection consists of plans, correspondence, agreements, leases, and deeds concerning properties sold and acquired by the University at Buffalo (formerly the University of Buffalo) from circa 1919 to 1960, including but not limited to Townsend Hall (on Niagara Square), the Chronic Disease Research Institute, the President’s residence, and the Albright Art School. The collection also includes materials concerning dormitory mortgages and bonds, 1952-1962, and materials concerning the site study for the North Campus (formerly Amherst Campus), 1960-1966. Of notable importance is the deed in which the University at Buffalo (formerly the University of Buffalo) acquired land from Erie County for the construction of South Campus (formerly Main Street campus).

Dates

  • 1909-1966

Creator

Terms of Access

University Properties records, 1909-1966, is open to researchers.

Copyright

Copyright is held by The State University of New York at Buffalo, University Archives. Copyright in other papers in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs or assigns. Researchers must obtain the written permission of the holder(s) of copyright and the University Archives before publishing quotations from materials in the collection. Most papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures unless otherwise specified.

Extent

3 Linear Feet (6 manuscript boxes, 1 map drawer)

Abstract

University Properties records, 1909-1966, consists of materials concerning buildings and real estate sold and acquired by the University at Buffalo (formerly the University of Buffalo).

Historical Note

The University at Buffalo (formerly University of Buffalo) underwent major periods of selling and acquiring real estate properties during the planning of the South Campus (formerly Main Street Campus) from 1909 to 1960. Estates and properties crucial to these planning periods include those located on Lucretia Vale, Linwood Avenue, LeBrun Road, Allenhurst Road, and Winspear Avenue, as well as buildings such as the Albright Art School, the Chronic Disease Research Institute, Townsend Hall, Goodyear Hall, and the Sherman estate. Further, site studies were conducted in the 1960s for the planning of the North Campus (formerly Amherst Campus). Historical information for some of the aforementioned properties to follow.

In 1970, the house at 186 LeBrun Road was purchased as the official residence of the president of UB. It replaced the Darwin D. Martin House, which had served in this capacity since the late 1960s. Major advantages of 186 LeBrun were its close proximity to UB, its excellent condition and its size: large enough for the official entertaining required of the president. 186 LeBrun Road would serve as the president's residence from 1970-1982.

220 Winspear is home of Environment Health and Safety, a division of University Facilities as well as the Office of Sustainability, key to campus environmental conservation efforts. It also houses the maintenance shops to service the South Campus facilities. Construction was completed in 1931.

In 1903, the building that is now known as Townsend Hall on the South Campus of UB was built for the Erie County Almshouse as the Nurses Dormitory. When UB purchased the Almshouse property (now the South Campus), the Nurses Dormitory was one of four buildings that was not demolished to make way for the new campus (the others being Hayes Hall, Wende Hall and Hayes Hall Annex D). In 1931, the building was renovated for use by the Department of Biology and became known as the Biology Building. The original veranda on the west side of the building was removed, and Corinthian columns and a classical stone portico were added. Two dormers were also removed, all to give the building a more classical appearance consistent with other campus buildings. In 1954, UB vacated the building located at 25 Niagara Square and renamed the Biology Building Townsend Hall.

Goodyear Hall was originally constructed as a women's residence hall in 1960. It continues to be used as a dormitory, although it is no longer exclusively for women.

Dr. DeWitt Halsey Sherman (1864-1940), Professor of Pediatrics, 1909-1929, developed the department of pediatrics at the University of Buffalo) and guided the expansion of Children's Hospital. He left the bulk of his estate to the University of Buffalo Medical School, and with the bequest and generous gift of Mrs. Sherman, almost $500,000 was used in the construction of a new medical building.

For additional information on the history of University at Buffalo buildings, please visit the University Archives website.

Arrangement

The collection is arranged by subject.

Acquisition Information

The bulk of materials in University Properties records, 1909-1966, was acquired April of 1965 from the Office of the Vice President for Business Affairs via Emily H. Webster. Additional materials were accessioned April of 1978.

Accruals and Additions

No further accruals are expected to this collection.

Processing Information

Processed by Archives staff, 1965 and 1978. Finding aid encoded by Jessica Hollister, 2020.

Creator

Title
Finding Aid for the University Properties records
Status
completed
Author
Finding aid prepared by Jessica Hollister
Date
03 March 2020
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
eng

Repository Details

Part of the University Archives Repository

Contact:
420 Capen Hall
Buffalo New York 14260-1674 US
716-645-2916
716-645-3714 (Fax)