College of Arts and Sciences records of the 75th Anniversary Celebration
Scope and Contents
The collection contains the records of the Celebration of the 75th Anniversary of Arts and Sciences education at the State University of New York at Buffalo. Records include correspondence between university administrators and individuals on the planning committee, financial and budget information, photographs, and information on the selection of the individuals to be awarded the Distinguished Achievement Award in Arts and Sciences, as well as other logistical information about the celebration. Also included is biographical information on Stephen Jay Gould, the "star speaker" of the celebration.
Language of Materials
Collection material in English.
Terms of Access
College of Arts and Sciences Records of the 75th Anniversary Celebration, 1988-1989, are open for research.
Copyright of papers in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs or assigns. Researchers must obtain the written permission of the holder(s) of copyright and the University Archives before publishing quotations from materials in the collection. Most papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures unless otherwise specified.
From a letter written by Charles Fogel (1.1): In June 18, 1913, the Council of the University agreed to offer in 1913-14 courses of Latin, English, German, French, Mathematics, Physics, Biology, Chemistry, and Mechanical Drawing, and it appointed a committee of five to report on the possible organization of an Arts and Sciences College. In February 1914, it was agreed to continue the previous courses in 1914 and to add a few more; but no decision was made as to the establishment of a College. On January 16, 1915, the Council did agree to such a College, the decision being able to be made because a building downtown at Niagara Square was offered to the University for such instruction. Courses were offered in 1915-16 under the auspices of the College.
0.5 Linear Feet (1 manuscript box)
Records of the celebration of the 75th Anniversary of Arts and Sciences education at the State University of New York at Buffalo.
This collection is arranged alphabetically.
The Archives received the collection on March 20, 1995 from the Office of the Dean (of Undergraduate Education). Its original accession number was 95-009
Accruals and Additions
No further accruals are expected to this collection.
Collection processed by Karen Walton, November 2003.
- Clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Correspondence Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Ebert, Charles H.V.
- Financial records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Gould, Stephen Jay
- Photographs Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Reichert, Jonathan Freiberg
- Reports Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Rogovin, Milton, 1909-2011
- State University of New York at Buffalo -- Archives
- State University of New York at Buffalo -- Anniversaries, etc.
- State University of New York at Buffalo. College of Arts and Sciences
- Finding Aid for the College of Arts and Sciences records of the 75th Anniversary Celebration
- Finding aid prepared by Karen Walton.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note