Campus Unrest Clippings
Scope and Contents
Clippings from newspapers in the Buffalo, N.Y. area reporting on campus unrest at the State University of New York at Buffalo between 1964 and 1975. Topics include academic freedom, draft resistance during the Vietnamese Conflict, and employer recruitment on campus by governmental and private sector entities.
- Furnas, Sparkle Moore (Person)
Language of Materials
Collection material in English.
Terms of Access
Campus Unrest Clippings, 1964-1975 are open for research.
Copyright of papers in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs or assigns. Researchers must obtain the written permission of the holder(s) of copyright and the University Archives before publishing quotations from materials in the collection. Most papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures unless otherwise specified.
The 1960s and early 1970s saw widespread student activism at colleges and universities worldwide. Academic freedom and participation in university governance, racial and political issues, the Vietnam War, the military draft, and the Nixon administration in the United States were some of the main issues that led to demonstrations, protests, sit-ins, riots, and ultimately the killing of students at Kent State University in Ohio on May 4, 1970. Please see Related Resources below for other collections in the University Archives and also this topical list.
1.25 Linear Feet (3 manuscript boxes)
Clippings from newspapers in the Buffalo, N.Y. area reporting on campus unrest at the State University of New York at Buffalo between 1964 and 1975.
This collection is arranged in alphabetical order, by topic or event.
The clippings from this collection were donated to the University Archives by Sparkle Furnas, wife of Chancellor Clifford C. Furnas. Originally organized alphabetically under the subject “Controversies,” clippings that dealt with the subject of campus unrest were removed to create this separate collection. The alphabetical arrangement has been maintained.
Accruals and Additions
No future accruals are expected.
Processed by William Offhaus, May 2005.
- Academic freedom -- New York (State) -- Buffalo
- Clippings (information artifacts)
- Erie County (N.Y.) -- Newspapers
- Newspapers -- Buffalo (N.Y.)
- Peace movements -- United States -- History -- 20th century -- Sources
- Radicalism -- United States -- History -- 20th century
- State University of New York at Buffalo
- Student movements -- New York (State) -- History -- Buffalo -- 20th century -- Sources
- Student protestors -- New York (State) -- Buffalo
- Student strikes -- New York (State) -- Buffalo
- Student-administrator relationships -- New York (State) -- Buffalo -- History -- 20th century -- Sources
- United States -- College graduates -- Recruiting
- United States -- Politics and government -- 20th century
- Vietnam War, 1961-1975 -- Draft registers -- United States
- Vietnam War, 1961-1975 -- Protest movements -- New York (State) -- Buffalo
- Vietnam War, 1961-1975 -- Public opinion -- United States
- University Archives (Repository, Organization)
- Campus Unrest at the University at Buffalo Collection (State University of New York at Buffalo) (Organization)
- Finding Aid for the Campus Unrest Clippings
- Finding aid prepared by William Offhaus, May 2005.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the University Archives Repository
420 Capen Hall
Buffalo New York 14260-1674 US