Greater University of Buffalo Development Program and other events
Scope and Contents
Records from the Office of the Chancellor pertaining to eight memorials, mainly of early University luminaries, spanning 1924-1946. Includes remarks by Chancellor Samuel P. Capen and others. Memorials consist of David Adie (School of Social Work), A.G. Bartholomew (University Council), Walter P. Cooke (University Council), Walter J. Goodale (University Council and School of Medicine), Alexander J. Inglis (Harvard University), Edward W. Koch (School of Medicine), Edward J. Meyer (School of Medicine), Charles G. Stockton (School of Medicine), and Daniel H. Squire (School of Dentistry).
Folders on Phi Kappa Phi petition for chapter at UB, open to all honors students of all departments, 1924; 25th and 50th anniversaries of the College of Arts and Sciences, in 1938 and 1964, respectively and the 1929 Endowment Campaign. Also includes details of the Rockefeller Foundation funded General Education Board. The General Education Board conducted a study, 1931-1936, for the purpose of “selecting, guiding, and instructing superior students from area high schools who plan to enter UB as BA candidates.” Researchers should consult annual reports (5/2/MF 353-454) from 1936-1945 and University of Buffalo Studies (vol. IX and vol. XIII) for additional documentation on the “Study of the Superior Student.”
The majority of the files concern the preparations for, and the business and structural outlines of the 1951-1952 Development Campaign, including the 1951 Niagara Frontier Convocation. Includes contents of 1951 Convocation scrapbook; files of speeches examining the future and "outlook for mankind in the next half century" by Chancellor T. Raymond McConnell, John Lord O'Brian, Lawrence Bell, Lt. Governor Frank Moore, and aviator Alexander de Seversky. Files on the 1951-1952 Development Campaign include contributor lists, business prospectus, and campaign strategy outlines.
- University of Buffalo. Office of the Chancellor (Organization)
Terms of Access and Use
Greater University of Buffalo Development Program and other events is open to researchers.
Copyright is held by The State University of New York at Buffalo. Copyright in other papers in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs or assigns. Researchers must obtain the written permission of the holder(s) of copyright and the University Archives before publishing quotations from materials in the collection. Most papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures unless otherwise specified.
This historical note is not comprehensive to each event in the collection, many of which contain a small amount of material. Because the majority of the collection covers the General Education Board and the Greater University of Buffalo Development Program, this note is limited to these topics.
General Education Board:
The General Education Board of New York State supplied a grant, accepted May 4, 1931 by the Committee on General Administration, to the University of Buffalo to continue and extend its project of the tutorial plan of study. It involved a comprehensive study over a period of years of successive groups of students (in the junior college of the university, together with juniors and seniors in Buffalo high schools who planned to attend UB), curricula, course materials, and study methods.
Greater University of Buffalo Development Program:
The Greater University of Buffalo Development Program consisted of two major activities: the Niagara Frontier Convocation (December 7-8, 1951) and the Niagara Frontier Campaign (January to June, 1952). The Convocation was designed to stimulate the financial interest of alumni, local industry, and the Buffalo community in the University’s program for the expansion of its facilities. The Campaign for the solicitation of funds, with a goal of $3.5 million, was organized in January 1952 and carried on intensively into May and June of that year. Facilities to be funded included the Medical-Dental Building [now Sidney Farber Hall] and a building for Physics.
According to The Power to Serve (1952, folder 5.6), the Program was explained thus:
“Throughout the long history of the University, its loyal alumni and friends have always responded enthusiastically and generously. This is the spirit that will enable this institution to remain a university privately financed and independently controlled. The University of Buffalo as we know it has been bequeathed to us by men and women of the past century. Each building, each tradition, even each course, reflects the lives and hopes of human beings stirred by a desire to leave the world better than they found it.”
2 Linear Feet (5 manuscript boxes)
Language of Materials
Records of memorials, convocations, anniversary celebrations, and fund campaigns held by the University. The majority of files concern the 1951-1952 Development Campaign, including the 1951 Niagara Frontier Convocation. This material is arranged chronologically and includes minutes, memoranda, lists of committee members and participants, diagrams of organizational structure, printed pamphlets, and other materials.
Greater University of Buffalo Development Program and other events is arranged in 2 series:
I. Memorials and other events, 1923-1964
II. Greater University of Buffalo Development Program, 1951-1952
Greater University of Buffalo Development Program and other events was transferred to University Archives in multiple accessions: by the Office of the President, in October, 1968; materials in boxes 4 and 5 were transferred to University Archives by University Affairs in August, 1967.
Accruals and Additions
No further accruals are expected.
Processed by Amy Vilz, August 2019; finding aid encoded by Amy Vilz, August 2019.
- University Archives (Repository, Organization)
- Finding Aid for the Greater University of Buffalo Development Program and other events
- Finding aid prepared by Amy Vilz
- 13 August 2019
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
Part of the University Archives Repository
420 Capen Hall
Buffalo New York 14260-1674 US