Steven B. Sample appointment books
Scope and Contents
10 volumes of University at Buffalo President Steven B. Sample's appointment books. Sample was President from 1982-1991. The appointment books were kept for Sample by Louise Small, Secretary to the President.
- Sample, Steven B., 1940-2016 (Person)
Terms of Access and Use
The Steven B. Sample appointment books are open to researchers.
Copyright of papers in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs or assigns. Researchers must obtain the written permission of the holder(s) of copyright and University Archives before requesting photocopies and/or publishing quotations from materials in the collection. Once permission is obtained, most papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures unless otherwise specified.
An electrical engineer who is known for his patents on various digital control panels including the touch pad on microwaves used all over the world, Sample became the University's twelfth President in 1982. He led the University to greater levels of recognition, as reflected in UB's election to the prestigious Association of American Universities.
After leaving the University at Buffalo in 1991, he became the tenth President of the University of Southern California. In 2001, Sample wrote The Contrarian's Guide to Leadership, voted as one of the top 10 business books of that year.
In 2004, the Sample received the "Chancellor's Medal," the most prestigious award given by the University bestowed to individuals whose accomplishments have greatly added to the prestige of the city of Buffalo and often to the University as well.
.4 Linear Feet (1 manuscript box)
Language of Materials
10 volumes of University at Buffalo President Steven B. Sample's appointment books. Sample was President from 1982-1991.
Steven B. Sample appointment books were transferred to University Archives by the Office of the President in November, 1993 as accession 93-038.
Accruals and Additions
No further accruals are expected.
Processed by Archives staff, date unrecorded; finding aid encoded by Amy Vilz, May 2019.
- Appointment books Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- College presidents -- New York (State) -- Buffalo Subject Source: Local sources
- New York (State) -- Buffalo -- College presidents Subject Source: Local sources
- Universities and colleges -- Administration Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Finding Aid for the Steven B. Sample appointment books
- Finding aid prepared by Archives staff
- 31 May 2019
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note