Buffalo-Paraguay Contract in Medical and Nursing Education records
- Majority of material found within ( 1960-1964)
Language of Materials
Terms of Access
1.75 Linear Feet (3 manuscript boxes, 1 folio clamshell box)
Two field coordinators were sent as educational consultants to administer the program. From 1956 to 1961, Dr. Edward M. Bridge from the School of Medicine and Ruth T. McGrorey from the School of Nursing were sent as the first consultants. They reported monthly on the two programs and provided analysis into the medical and nursing educational conditions at Asuncion.
On July 1, 1962, the SCISP transferred the Paraguay Contract to the U.S. Operations Mission. Within the framework of the U.S. government and AID directives, the Mission provided administrative and political guidance and financial support to the two educational projects.
During the thirteen years the programs were in existence many UB faculty members including President C.C. Furnas went to survey and report on the programs' progress. In October 1964, the Rector (President) of NUA, Dr. Crispin Insaurralde, came to UB where a large event was planned in honor of his visit.
"The program during the first six years of operation covered reorganization of the library, selection and limitation of students,reorganization of the teaching in the basic science departments, development of new programs in [several clinical courses], development of better teaching methods, improvement in central common services of the University Hospital, and the development of long-range plans for improvement in the clinical teaching areas"
(-- "Experiences With the Buffalo-Paraguay Contract in Medical Education, 1962" by Edward M. Bridge, #1.13).
The program was eventually incorporated into the curriculum at the NUA and in 1967, "the first graduates of the new four year program received the title of Licensiada, a term equivalent to the baccalaureate degree in nursing."
By 1969, the Buffalo-Paraguay contract was no longer in existence.
Accruals and Additions
- Bridge, Edward M. (Edward Mervin)
- Dr. Andres Barbero Institute of Teaching
- Greene, David G. (David Gorham)
- McGrorey, Ruth T.
- Medical -- Study and teaching -- International cooperation
- National University of Asuncion
- Nursing -- Study and teaching -- International cooperation
- Servico Cooperativo Interamericano de Salud Publica
- State University of New York at Buffalo. School of Medicine
- State University of New York at Buffalo. School of Medicine -- International cooperation
- State University of New York at Buffalo. School of Nursing
- Surgenor, Douglas MacN.
- University of Buffalo. School of Medicine
- University of Buffalo. School of Nursing
- University Archives (Repository, Organization)
- Finding Aid for the Buffalo-Paraguay Contract in Medical and Nursing Education records
- Finding aid prepared by Jessica Tanny.
- Description rules
- Language of description