Skip to Content

Amherst campus site resolutions, maps, and memoranda

 Collection — Envelope: 1
Identifier: 8/9/1375
Amherst campus site resolutions, maps, and memoranda (mainly photocopies), pertaining to the groundbreaking of the Amherst campus and the existing buildings that were present at that time. Collection includes copy of June 27, 1968 resolution by the UB Council for the Amherst campus; memos with description of the master plan and college sites; and several news releases detailing the design firms associated with the campus (Davis, Broday and Associates and Milstein, Wittek, Davis, and Hamilton), and structures on the Amherst parcel before construction. These structures were sold at public auction and required buyers to remove the structures from the site. Structures included frame and concrete homes, cottages, and barns on Rensch Road, Millersport Highway, and Skinnersville Road.

Dates

  • 1968-1969

Terms of Access and Use

Amherst campus site resolutions, maps, and memoranda are open for research.

Copyright

Copyright is held by The State University of New York at Buffalo. Copyright in other papers in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs or assigns. Researchers must obtain the written permission of the holder(s) of copyright and the University Archives before publishing quotations from materials in the collection. Most papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures unless otherwise specified.

Extent

.1 Linear Feet (1 expandable folder)

Abstract

Amherst campus site resolutions, maps, and memoranda (mainly photocopies), pertaining to the groundbreaking of the Amherst campus and the existing buildings that were present at that time.

Historical Note

The University at Buffalo's North Campus is located almost exactly in the center of the town of Amherst, NY approximately 3.5 miles from South Campus on the northeast edge of Buffalo, NY. In the mid-1960s, the University was quickly outgrowing its 178-acre campus which was once the grounds for the Erie County Almshouse and County Hospital. After a few unsuccessful attempts to acquire land for a new campus in downtown Buffalo, the University looked to the surrounding suburbs. Then governor of New York Nelson Rockefeller helped the University acquire 2,000 acres in Amherst, and in October, 1968 the University began the intensive planning for the newly-acquired land.

In July 1970, the State University Construction Fund and architectural design firm Sasaki, Dawson, Demay and Associates, Inc. published The Campus Plan in two volumes, which outlined in great detail the vision for the new campus.

Many of the South Campus building names were relocated to new structures on the University's North Campus in the 1970s and 1980s. The structures on South Campus were then renamed.

Arrangement

Chronological.

Acquisition Information

Amherst campus site resolutions, maps, and memoranda was transferred to University Archives in 2003 as accession 03-112.

Accruals and Additions

No further accruals are expected.

Processing Information

Processed by Amy Vilz, April 2019; finding aid encoded by Amy Vilz, April 2019.

Source

Title
Finding Aid for the Amherst campus site resolutions, maps, and memoranda
Status
completed
Author
Finding aid prepared by Amy Vilz.
Date
24 April 2019
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
und

Repository Details

Part of the University Archives Repository

Contact:
420 Capen Hall
Buffalo New York 14260-1674 US
716-645-2916
716-645-3714 (Fax)