UB Council vertical file
Scope and Contents
This vertical file is not comprehensive; it is comprised of ad hoc material collected over time by University Archives staff. Vertical files are often used by researchers as a "first stop" and serve as an orientation to the topic at hand.
The UB Council vertical file contains administrative histories regarding university governance. Administrative histories are useful as they generally contain citations to other sources, such as minutes, articles, etc., that are held in University Archives.
The bulk of this vertical file is compiled of clippings mainly documenting presidential searches from 1991 to the present.
- circa 1960-2010
Terms of Access and Use
UB Council vertical file is open for research.
Copyright of papers in the collection may be held by their authors, or the authors' heirs or assigns. Researchers must obtain the written permission of the holder(s) of copyright and University Archives before requesting photocopies and/or publishing quotations from materials in the collection. Once permission is obtained, most papers may be copied in accordance with the library's usual procedures unless otherwise specified.
From the UB Council website: http://www.buffalo.edu/ubcouncil/about-the-council.html
The UB Council serves as the primary oversight and advisory body to the University at Buffalo and its president and senior officers. Established in accordance with New York State Education Law, the council consists of ten members, nine appointed to seven-year terms by the governor of the State of New York, and one student member elected to an annual term by the university’s students.
Among the regular duties of the council are reviewing all major plans and activities of the university in the areas of academics, student life, finances, buildings and grounds, as well as making recommendations and regulations for the benefit of the university in matters of community and alumni relations. One of the council's foremost, albeit infrequent, responsibilities is to recommend candidates to the state university trustees to serve as campus president. A more detailed description of the roles and responsibilities of the council can be found in New York State Education Law, Article 8, Section 356.
.2 Linear Feet (vertical file drawer)
Language of Materials
Contains administrative histories and clippings regarding UB Council and its activities.
Material is arranged by subgroup:
H. Administrative History
1. University of Buffalo; contains clippings and printed publications. Clippings mainly document the merger of the private University of Buffalo with the State University of New York.
2. State University of New York at Buffalo; contains clippings and printed publications. Clippings mainly document presidential searches from 1991 to the present.
Material in the UB Council vertical file was collected by University Archives staff. Periodically, documentation is added to the collection.
Accruals and Additions
Further accruals are expected.
Processed by Amy Vilz, April 2019; finding aid encoded by Amy Vilz, April 2019.
- Administrative records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Clippings (information artifacts) Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- State University of New York at Buffalo. University Council
- University of Buffalo. University Council
- Finding Aid for the UB Council vertical file
- Finding aid prepared by Amy Vilz
- 09 April 2019
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note