45. Department of Information Science
Library Science was established in 1919 as part of the College of Arts and Sciences. By 1934, the course had expanded to earn approval by NYS for certification. The Bachelor of Science in Library Science was conferred for the first time in 1937, taking the place of the former certificate. The School of Information and Library Studies merged with the Dept. of Communication to form the School of Information Studies effective the fall semester of 1999. The School of Information Studies consisted of the Dept. of Communication and the Dept. of Library and Information Studies. Effective fall semester 2001, the School of Information Studies changed its name to the School of Informatics. Effective Fall semester 2006, the School of Informatics was dissolved. The Department of Communication returned to the College of Arts and Sciences. The Department of Library and Information Studies became part of the Graduate School of Education. Effective spring semester 2019, the Department of Library and Information Studies changed its name to Department of Information Science.
Found in 1 Collection or Record: