Skip to Content

CECOS: Niagara Site, 1979-1990

 Sub-Series
Identifier: Subseries A
Includes reports, habitability studies, articles, legal documents, litigation, and clippings relating to hazardous waste management facilities, chemical companies, and toxic waste sites other than Love Canal, primarily in Western New York.

Dates

  • 1979-1990

Terms of Access

Ecumenical Task Force of the Niagara Frontier Records, 1946-1995 (1978-1990 bulk), are open for research.

Extent

From the Collection: 241 Linear Feet (194 manuscript boxes, 7 card boxes, 1 flat box, 1 map case drawer, 2 oversize map holders, 1 carton)

Biographical / Historical

CECOS International, Inc. (formerly Newco Chemical Waste Systems, Inc and today owned by Allied Waste.) is located on a 385-acre tract in an industrial-commercial area of Niagara County. The site was first used for waste disposal in 1897. Starting in 1977 (and continuing today) the site was used for hazardous waste treatment storage and disposal.

In 1980 CECOS announced plans to expand current operations in three of there landfills. The New York State DEC held a hearing in response to the public outcry.

In 1985 CECOS again applied for a permit. This time it was to build a new landfill called Secure Chemical Residue Facility #6 (SCRF#6). This caused a large public response resulting in lengthy New York State DEC hearings, legal proceedings, and a change in New York environmental law.

Arrangement

Arranged alphabetically.

Creator

Repository Details

Part of the University Archives Repository

Contact:
420 Capen Hall
Buffalo New York 14260-1674 US
716-645-2916
716-645-3714 (Fax)