Skip to Content

State University of New York at Buffalo. College of Arts and Sciences

 Organization
Dates
  • Existence: 1998-

Historical Note

The University of Buffalo Charter was granted by the New York State Legislature on May 11th, 1846 with the authorization to grant any degrees whatsoever. The School of Medicine was established as the first division of the University, followed by Pharmacy (1886), Law School (1887), and Dental School (1892). Although the desire for a “Greater University” consisting of liberal arts courses in concert with the professional schools had been a goal since the charter was granted, new accreditation rules from the American Medical Association led to the first “Courses in Arts and Sciences” offered in 1913. Thirty-five full-time students enrolled, marking the beginnings of the College of Arts and Sciences.

The years 1916-1922 were critical in the transformation of the University from a loose collection of professional schools to an integrated university. In 1920, the University embarked on a major endowment campaign. Generating over $5 million from 24,000 community members in 10 days, the success of the campaign allowed for development of the Main Street Campus and expansion of the College of Arts and Sciences.

UB underwent significant change and growth with the consolidation of most facilities on the Main Street Campus (the Law School remained downtown). Enrollment exploded after WWII and with it, a rapid expansion of CAS. The Art Department merged with the Albright Art School, the Slee Professorship in Music was established (with first resident Aaron Copeland), and both Physics and Chemistry were awarded new and renovated facilities. Most significantly, UB merged with the SUNY system in 1962 affording an infusion of funding. Between 1961 and 1963, CAS hired nearly 200 new faculty to meet growing enrollment demand.

From 1967-1998, the College of Arts and Sciences was reorganized as the Faculty of Arts and Letters, Faculty of Social Sciences and Administration, and Faculty of Natural Sciences and Mathematics. In 1998, the College of Arts and Sciences was re-established.
Found in 6 Collections and/or Records:

Milton C. Albrecht papers

 Collection — Box: 1-10
Identifier: 15/2/118
Overview The papers of Milton C. Albrecht, Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, 1958-1965, include notebooks, appointment books, faculty reprints, memorabilia and audio recordings.

College of Arts and Sciences records

 Collection — Box: 1-2, 1-11, 1, 1-30
Identifier: 15/1/117-15/1/233-15/1/341-15/1/410
Overview Collection contains the subject files from the Office of the Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences of the University of Buffalo from the College's inception in 1913 to 1967 when it was split into three Faculties.

College of Arts and Sciences records of the 75th Anniversary Celebration

 Collection — Box: 1
Identifier: 3/4/847
Overview Records of the celebration of the 75th Anniversary of Arts and Sciences education at the State University of New York at Buffalo.

College of Arts and Sciences 50th anniversary jubilee concert lp records

 Collection — Oversize-box: UAOS 1, Item: 1-3
Identifier: 15/5/1334
Abstract Recording of the Jubilee Concert, April 12, 1964, held at Kleinhans Music Hall celebrating the 50th anniversary of the College of Arts and Sciences.

College of Arts and Sciences Office of the Dean annual files

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: 50/1/1075
Abstract This collection consists of annual reports, departmental files, and subject files from the College of Arts and Sciences, Office of the Dean.

Office of University Events: Commencement records

 Collection
Identifier: 11/6/1399
Abstract Office of University Events: Commencement records, 2020 contains materials related to the virtual commencement ceremonies held by University at Buffalo's various schools in May 2020.